Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Have Some More Wurst

Four more entries in our group writing project Worst Sailing Innovation Ever...

Paul Cross is a "loquacious, idle, pun hunting teacher of Physics." He writes a blog called Daedalus which is about learning with new technology, sailing, science….and pretty much anything else he has an opinion on. It's perhaps the best blog on the planet about things that Paul Cross has an opinion on. His nomination for Worst Sailing Innovation Ever is The Cabin. As he says in Cabin Fever... An openboat rant...

As soon as you put a lid on a boat it stops being a boat. It becomes: a shed, a mobile home or an excuse not to go sailing.

There is nothing about a cabin that improves the boat, it merely compromises the craft's ability to sail and gives you more room to weigh yourself down with stuff you think you might need but probably never will.

I think I like this guy.


Andrew Sadler writes a most excellent blog called SadlerBootwerk. It is perhaps the best blog on the planet about Dutch barges, carpentry and Optimist sailing in the Netherlands. Andrew's suggestion for Worst Sailing Innovation Ever is Ice.

Huh. Ice? I like ice in my Scotch. And it's hardly an innovation. But poor Andrew is iced up in Holland, his barging clients can't get to him and his daughter can't sail her Optimist, so I guess we'll give him a break and allow
Ice.


O Docker (at least according to his profile) is a "drone" who works in publishing in Sacramento. He writes a most excellent blog called O Dock which is probably the best blog on the planet about fixing a boat on O Dock in Berkelely Marina and watching other people sailing on San Francisco Bay. He has discovered a fascinating piece of nautical history from the 17th century involving one of my ancestors the first Baronet Gybe. O Docker's selection for Worst Sailing Innovation Ever is The Gybe.


Tillerman writes a most pathetic blog about dogfood and people who can't spell. He seems to have been swept up in the current mania for criticizing that most excellent sailing event, the pinnacle of our sport, the America's Cup. In an extremely boring post which is nothing more than the transcript of his rambling interview with the famous sailing reporter Buff Staysail, he proposes
The Deed of Gift as Worst Sailing Innovation Ever.


Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. The project will be open for another week until next Monday February 15th. Please do write your suggestion for Worst Sailing Innovation Ever. You don't even need to have your own blog to participate. Full details at Worst Sailing Innovation Ever.

By the way, if anyone didn't agree with my post on 23 Reasons Why Putting an Engine in a Sailboat is the Worst Sailing Innovation Ever then check out the latest post on Syzygy Sailing, Goddam shit ass piece of shit boat.

9 comments:

Turinas said...

I finally got the photo from your original post. I am slow on the uptake

Tillerman said...

LOL. I wonder how many other people are still scratching their heads about that one!

Baydog said...

I can't wait to see who the wiener will be

Tillerman said...

Baydog, to be frank, a few of these posts don't cut the mustard, they are just playing ketchup.

Baydog said...

Don't be a Brat, Tillerman. You can't Knock someone for trying

Tillerman said...

Hot dog! I guess I should have expected that that last comment would get a chili reception. Now I'm in a pickle.

Andouille used to be all such good friends.

Baydog said...

You've left a sauer taste in my mouth, but I'll keep coming Bock!

Tillerman said...

Is that kosher, then? Liver and let liver is what I always say.

Capt. Puffy Pants said...

Thanks, now I'm hungry. I may be the first to cast a vote, or not, regardless, my vote goes to O'Docker for making me laugh and spit on my monitor.

Post a Comment